Old 06-06-2003, 06:08 PM
J. Del Col

Default I have a question

"Jack_H." wrote in message . ..
I am leaving the country soon and a neighbor of mine has some of the nicest
looking and smelling roses.
I would like to grow them in my future home.
How do you harvest the rose hips?
how to you sprout the seeds in the rose hips?

If they are hybrids, they won't come true from seed, so you won't get
the same roses your neighbor has.

Harvest the hips just when they turn orange or red. Take the seeds out
of the hips, rinse them thoroughly, then dry them on paper towels.
Then store the dry seed in plastic baggies or 35mm film canisters or
some other container.

Getting the seeds to germinate is a bit of a chore. Rose seeds
require a period of cold weather in order to germinate. You can
duplicate this by putting them in a refrigerator for a couple of
months. Or you can chemically stratify them by soaking them in a
solution of enzymatic drain cleaner for 48 hours. No I'm not making
this up. I've done it several times. The old method was to use
sulfuric acid--I'm not that brave.

J. Del Col