Old 06-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Jim W

Default Woodlice - good or bad?

Sharon Hughes wrote:

Hi all - any advice please on whether or not I should be worried about the
woodlice in my courtyard?

I inherited an inner-city concrete wasteland (aka the courtyard) and am now
transforming the space - at the moment I have predominantly large pots etc
on the go. It's so nice to see some wildlife coming in the space (had my
first ladybird visit the other day) but I've noticed ants, woodlice and some
funny brown looking beetle type thing that likes the walls. I'm real keen
on getting wildlife in but should I be worried that any of this lot are
going to ruin my minor achievements so far?

Advice gratefully received (don't yet have a book on bugs!).

Woodlice indicate the presence of shelter and certain amounts of
moisture.. If so this is a good place to start with plants that will
grow well in your courtyard.. I wouldn't worry about the woodlice too
much.. Try keeping areas dier and they will soon reduce in numbers.
They like cool, damp, shady spots. Generally though they are not a
major problem.

Ants.. ALso not aproblem unless they are feeding off aphids orscale
insects on plants producing honeydew. Ants tend to favour sandy soil
(eg the soil under paving and concrete) and aren't ususally a problem
unless they start moving into your home with you!-)

Brown beetles.. A harder one.. Can you describe them a bit better?
How long are they in mm (or in relation to a 1p or something??) Have
you seen them fly? Do they have any spots? Antennae, long or short? Do
they move fast or slow? Like sunny places or hide away...

Is there any way you can post a photo or put one in the scanner?

Some beetles are good.. Others are bad..

Courtyards are fun and have a good range for climbers, ferns, and a
number of plants that like sheltered sites..

Try a search for 'Courtyard' at http://www.bookbrain.co.uk

It brings up 27 hits the majority of which are about gardens..

Good thing about this site is it gives you the cheapest supplier
(including P&P) for your chosen book
//
Jim