Old 07-06-2003, 04:21 AM
Vox Humana

Default garden police gone wild?

"Bill Oliver" wrote in message
In article ,
Vox Humana wrote:

Unless you live in a very rural setting you are subject to these

regulations
to one degree or another. Getting back to the base issue, do you think

that
ownership and paying taxes is a license to do as you wish? In other

words,
should zoning and other building regulations be abolished?

Of course, one can play this game both ways. Do you believe that
because it is possible to pass ordinances that there should
be no individual liberty?

Of course I don't believe that. I do believe that people have the right to
enter into contractual agreements with each other. I believe that if you
don't think the term of the contract are reasonable, then you shouldn't sign
it. If you think that your association has passed rules that are
unreasonable then you have the right to lobby to change or abolish them.
You have the right to sue in court for relief.

The statement has been made that if you own the property and pay the taxes
you have a right to do as you wish. Since zoning and building codes
prohibit you from doing what you wish on your own property regardless of the
taxes paid, you would have to abolish them to achieve your goal. It isn't a
trick question. Either you believe that you should have carte blanch
freedom or indeed, you think that limitations are justified.