Old 07-06-2003, 04:21 AM

Default garden police gone wild?

There are more alternatives than anarchy or a law for everything, alternatives that
dont take away individual rights. One is mediation boards. When people are in
conflict they come to a mediation board to settle the problem. And that same
mediation board can take into account all kinds of variables, including that the
complainant is a control freak. For 60 years my mother and all inhabitants of the11
properties that shared a lot line with her got along wonderfully, mostly cause they
all practiced MYOB. A mediation board would have taken a look at the property and
realized that the BITCH didnt have cause to complain about anything cause she couldnt
see it except by coming onto private property. They would have ordered that a survey
be done to establish legal lot lines (which we did anyway). Then they might have
also recommended that the BITCH consider some psychological counseling.
I think part of the problem in the US is that so many people move all over the hell
place and end up plopped down in places where there are not only no ties of family
and friends, but also no idea of what the "culture" of the area is and what is
considered being a "good neighbor". I have lived in different US cities and even
in rural Canada and know what it feels like to be an outsider and realize that I am
never going to have anything like I had with the people I grew up with in my
neighborhood. I will never have more than the shallowest relationship with the
neighbors. It is this disconnectedness that leads to most of the conflict. Relying
only on laws and suing to settle conflict just drives wedges between people and
hardens their position, it isnt going to help the sense of disconnectedness and
exclusion. I am sure the BITCH feels even more excluded now than before, and my
mother has even closer ties to neighbors than ever when they rallied around her.
Ingrid

"Vox Humana" wrote:
Then in your world the only acceptable situation is anarchy?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.