Old 07-06-2003, 04:21 AM
Repeating Decimal

Default Tomato experiment

I have a small greenhouse devoted to tomatoes of various kinds. I have six
Dutch pots on each side for a total of twelve. I am having trouble with
mildew or fungus on the leaves.

At first the leaves start showing gray blotches that I believe is the
mildew. Then they start to shrivel and turn brown. Then I can break them off
easily where the meet main stems.

In the morning, there sometimes are water droplets on the leaves. Can that
be the problem.

I run a fan in the middle of the night to reduce humidity for about an hour.
Is that enough?

I am now running an experiment. Instead of using the regular hydroponic
drippers that I got originally, I am using four kinds. The original dripper,
1/2, 1, and 2 gph (gallon per hour) drip irrigation drippers. My routine is
off at night. During the day I irrigate with a half hour 2-1/2 hours off
during the day. This way I hope to be able to get a handle on my irrigation
schedule.

I would appreciate hearing other experiments, suggestions, and
interpretations.

I also have a General Hydroponics Power grower outdoors. In general, the
vegetation in it seems to be healthier, maybe because there is less
condensation. I also recently assembled and put on line three growers with
designs ripped off of the Power Grower. They have not been running long
enough to have much vegetation. Three more are in the works.

I am using Grow More nutrient for tomatoes as per instructions.

Bill