Old 07-06-2003, 04:22 AM
K Barrett

Default Sad news, good news and questions all in one message

The secret to bulbophyllums is to remember that they have roots with very
little velamen on them. Velamen traps and holds the day's moisture for the
plant to use at a later time. Hence Bulbophyllums need/want more of a daily
introduction to water than something like a Cattleya would. Cattleyas - for
example - can take some drying out because the velamen traps and holds
moisture, like a sponge. Think of it this way. If velamen was an anatomical
feature equivalent to breasts, Bulbophyllums would be Twiggy and Cattleyas
would be Jane Mansfield (or insert the name of whatever heroin-chic model
currently in vogue and Anna-Nicole Smith). So you can visualize how
deficient in velamen poor Bulbophyllums are. You gotta keep most of these
babies evenly moist, but still with air to the roots. A difficult balancing
act indeed. If your remaining Bulbophyllum doesn't want to grow for you try
a bit more water, try to make sure it stays above 60F at night and try a
*bit* more light (as for Cattleyas).

K Barrett

"Boystrup Pb, ann,..." wrote in message
.be...
First the sad news.
* Today my first ever Bulbophyllum died. Leaving me only one which doesn't
seem to want to grow
* Secondly I am about to become an uncle. That's the good news. I

think!!!!
Most children seem afraid of mee because I so big. (hight 1,93m.)

Now to the questions:
*I bought 2 paph's this week: A paph. King Arthur and a paph

grattrixianum.
I bought them for just ?17.
For some time now I have been making a file and looking for pictures of my
orchids to but in it until I can make my own pic's. Using books, asking
permision on the net, friends ...
But I can't find one of these 2 plants, so if anyone could help me

please???
I'm not going to publisch anything, I just use the file to look up what

the
flowers look like, pests they've had...

* Also I fell in love with an orchid last Christmas. A thelymitra

variegata
208 and 199 from Australia. If there has ever been an orchid with a

perfect
colour it must be a Thelymitra. If I could just live in Australia!!!!!
I found the pic's on the orchid mall. Now ever sinds I have contacted
several growers in Europe and one in Australia. But none of them has ever
had or seen this orchid. Please if anyone knows were I might be able to

find
one without braking any laws, tell me, please, please, please.

To end this with a piece of advice to all the men out there. An orchid is
like a great woman. Beauty on the outside and the inside, and when you

find
the perfect one, you can never let them go.

Peter