Old 07-06-2003, 04:22 AM
Heather

Default Koi living in mud ponds.

I read somewhere that the mud or something in the mud helps give the fish
better color.

"Matt Rosing" wrote in message
Must be a Japanese thing. My koi like green water

David Larson wrote:

Hello all,

I've read many threads about Koi needing to have crystal clean water in

order to thrive. Then I
looked at a few websites for Koi breeders in Japan, and their Koi live in

mud ponds and the water is
far from crystal clear. Look at these pics -

http://www.tategoi.com/oomokoi/koi%20harvest.htm

Now... these breeders have zillions of dollars (yen) invested in their

Koi, so they need them to
maintain prime health. This being the case, is it really necessary to

have clear water for koi? Yes,
Ph, nitrates, nitrites, and such need to be correct - but it seems the

water itself does not need to
be clear.

What am I missing here????

- David