Old 07-06-2003, 04:44 AM
susabean

Default Pronouncing Weigela

I have always heard it pronounced around here like wye geel eeuh. Different
regions probably pronounce it different ways.

hth
tammy

--
The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom.
Henry Ward Beecher

Thank goodness I was never sent to school; it would have rubbed off some of
the originality.
Beatrix Potter

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
William Butler Yeats

www.pictureparables.com

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
.. .

"Ian" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
Okay, my dictionary skills lack here, can't work out how it is commonly
pronounced:

wei·ge·la (wI gEE?luh, -jEE?-, wI?guh luh) n. pl. -las
1. any of various shrubby, E Asian plants belonging to the genus
Weigela, of the honeysuckle family, having funnel-shaped white,
pink, or crimson flowers.
[1840-50; NL, after C. E. Weigel (1748-1831), German physician;
see - A 2]

- Is it Y-GEE-LUH

or something completely different?

That's how I pronounce it.