Old 07-06-2003, 06:44 AM
John Ladasky

Default Deadly Kudzu?

"Gloria Lenon" wrote in message om...
I remember Kudzu growing over trees and houses in Maryland.

Indeed. There's a patch of kudzu smothering a stand of trees in
Towson, just north of Baltimore. It's not as bad as what I have seen
in Tennessee and Alabama, but it's still scary.

This was 30
years ago. It doesn't go away, but is edible!

We would never succeed in eating enough of it to matter, not even if
every American ate some every day! (And you know how Americans can
eat. :^)

That is why it was brought
to this country. It is not a native plant, but loves it here. If you have
tortoises or cattle/cows, feed it to them. People also eat Kudzu - so lets
have a big big big Kudzu salad!

I've always wondered how kudzu is controlled in its native range
(Japan, if I remember correctly). Importing biological controls to
correct past mistakes can have its own hazards, but is there a
strategy one might consider?

--
John J. Ladasky Jr., Ph.D.
Department of Biology