Old 07-06-2003, 11:08 AM
Ann

Default Repost: Leaves falling off daisies (was: Margharite daisies look sad, help!)

"Adam Schwartz" expounded:

My apologies for the repost. I've posted this twice now but haven't
gotten a response. My daisies look so awkward and I want to make them
better: Thanks in advance for any responses!

My margharite daisies are losing leaves near the bottom of the stem,
leaving a long bare stem exposed with a ball of leaves near the top. Is
this normal? Is there any way to fix this?

Were they potted? If they were, they were probably potted in shipping
medium, which isn't good soil at all. Once it gets dry, there's no
wetting it. When planted anything in a good sized (5-6" or larger)
pot, it's a good idea to remove as much of the soil as possible before
planting. Once the leaves are gone, unless you cut the plant back
hard (and pray a lot) I think they're gone. Of course, if you cut
them back, you lose the blooms.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA