Old 07-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Malcolm

Default Rachel de Thame and national collections

In article , Kay Easton
writes
In article , Charlie news@lowfidelit
y.NOSPAMorg.uk writes
I still call them species and I like gardening. It's not that I'm not
intelligent, it's just what I grew up with.

Yes, but *what* do you call species? Crocus sativus, Crocus vernus as
two species of crocus, and 'species crocus' to distinguish between them
and the large flowered hybrids

Or do you refer to Crocus as one species and snowdrop as another
species, and heather as a third species, as did Rachel de T?

Do people just not care that the botanical names are an attempt to
encapsulate the evolutionary history of each plant? Do they just regard
them as names given on a whim, rather like a 'name the teddy bear'
competition at a local fete?

When I'm in doubt as to what word to use I play safe and resort to that
excellent word taxa (sing. taxon) which covers all possible descriptors
from form to kingdoms!

--
Malcolm