Old 07-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Penny Morgan

Default Caterpillars in sac attacking apple tree

What you're seeing are Tent Caterpillars. They are very common on various
fruit trees. Most hardware stores, including Home Depot and Lowe's, have
remedies to get rid of them. It's usually sold in a liquid that you mix and
spray on the tree. I also saw a can of Ortho Wasp killer in the store the
other day that listed Tent Caterpillars as one that it kills. That would be
ideal because the can sprays about 20' in distance, making it easy to reach
them. If you can do a search on Yahoo or Google, you can find pictures of
tent caterpillars to confirm my suspicions. Good luck.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
"pelmar" wrote in message
Much to my horror I discoverd cobweb like "sacs" of caterpillars and
their small black eggs in my apple tree. I live in Denmark but have only
come across the phenomenom in my childhood in the UK. I remember one
summer in the mid 80's that a warning came on the news about sacs of
caterpillars that could cause an allergic reaction if touched. They hung
in sacs on trees and I remember we had a tree like thsi ion our front
garden.

The question is how do I get rid of them as they seem to be slowly
eating away at both the leaves and the small fruits on my apple tree?