Old 07-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Mike

Default Conversion of farmland to garden

In article . network,
Dave Liquorice writes

There is with the Land Registry. ie you fence off and use a bit of
land for 10 (or is it 11?) years with *no* objections being raised you
can then apply for title on that land. My parents (and neighbours) all
"won" about 10 yards onto the end of their back gardens by quietly
taking over the back lane. I don't think this applies to planning
though only the title.

No it doesn't apply to planning, that has to be applied for. I 'believe'
that 2 owners before me 'took over' a piece of land at the bottom of his
garden, which of course became mine when I purchased the house, with
over half and acre. I wanted to keep chickens on this land and thought I
had better apply for planning permission. This was refused and the
Planning Department when making a visit said, 'No, not chickens, but we
will give you planning permission for houses'. It now has 2 blocks of
flats on it, BUT, there was a covenant on the land 'No Building'. This
had not been registered with Land Registry so my solicitor had it
removed.

Mike

Forthcoming reunions.
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more