Old 07-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Paul Kelly

Default Hedge quandary

"PJ" wrote in message
e.com...
On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 23:51:34 +0100, Paul Kelly wrote
(in message ):

Actually I am probably going to get the small plants now that I have read
that they'll be a good size within a few years. This is suggested by Kay
Easton in a neighbouring post.

In that case DO plant them well: 12" trench, 6" manure/compost in the
bottom. Fork over deeply. Good mix of soil and compost to backfill along
with a slow release fertilizer (bonemeal?). Water frequently, best is a
Leaky pipe looped round each plant and on a timer frequency/duration will
depend on local soil conditions.

You might be tempted to just dig smaller holes for the small pot sizes -
don't! In the long term a hedge takes an awful lot out of the soil and you
need to give it the best chance possible.

pk