Old 07-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Michael Berridge

Default Conversion of farmland to garden

Chris Nellist wrote in message ...
As for your point about building, no, I wouldn't support the abolition

of
all controls over putting up buildings. But what I said 'bloody local
councils' to was the report about how a local council made someone

restore
his garden to farmland. I would certainly support the abolition of all
restrictions on turning pieces of farmland into gardens, which is what

this
bloke did. There are no such restrictions in Ireland and it hasn't led

the
sky to cave in Turning a field into a garden is not by any stretch

of
the imagination an anti-social act, and does not require to be stomped

on
or addressed by the authorities in the way that genuinely anti-social

acts
do.

The problem many councils would have with that is that people taking
over bits of field to create a new garden, then new owners come along
and think. mm it would be nice to build a small bungalow for granny on
that area of garden. So they apply to do that, then that place for
granny gets sold, the new owners buy some more field, and so unto the
whole field is suddenly a line of new houses.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk