Old 07-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Kay Easton

Default Conversion of farmland to garden

In article , Chris Nellist
writes

As for your point about building, no, I wouldn't support the abolition of
all controls over putting up buildings. But what I said 'bloody local
councils' to was the report about how a local council made someone restore
his garden to farmland. I would certainly support the abolition of all
restrictions on turning pieces of farmland into gardens, which is what this
bloke did. There are no such restrictions in Ireland and it hasn't led the
sky to cave in Turning a field into a garden is not by any stretch of
the imagination an anti-social act, and does not require to be stomped on
or addressed by the authorities in the way that genuinely anti-social acts
do.

Oh, come off it! If all the converted barns in the Yorkshire Dales were
to start have 1 acre gardens around them, it would change the character
a great deal! OK, I know you're saying that in Ireland that hasn't
happened, but in Ireland you don't have such pressure on buildings as we
do here, or so many people wanting second homes or retirement homes
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: