Old 07-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Warren

Default Grass buildup on mower deck

John S. DeBoo wrote:

Sharp blade as already mentioned and washing under the mower. Some

will not agree due to safety reasons but I
rinse mine from the side with the mower running. You can spray right

into the grass exit shute or let water run
under the edge of the mower and it'll knock out the grass quickly.

A strong, directed stream of water with the blades stopped is going to
work faster than the scattered spray that's produced when the blades are
running. Cleaning with the blades off allows you to get into the nooks
and crannies that would only be moistened by a spray distributed by the
spinning blades.

But if you're not convinced, and still want to clean the mower when it's
running, there are hose attachments that can be attached to the mower
deck while the mower is not running. Then start the mower, and turn on
the water.

If you still think raising the mower while it's running is a good idea,
you'd better get your points in now while you still have enough fingers
to type, and eyes that can still see the screen. Not only do I "not
agree due to safety reasons", I think it's downright reckless and
stupid.

BTW... For safety reasons, even if the mower is off, don't blindly reach
into the blades. Work around them as best you can. If you must move
them, you want to make sure that the mower isn't just off, but with an
electric mower you want to make sure it's unplugged, and with a gas
mower you want to remove the spark plug. Even then, your initial contact
with the blade should not be with your hand. You want to test to make
sure the blade doesn't have a lot of torque behind it, and moves
relatively freely.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.