Old 07-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Julia Green

Default Caterpillars in sac attacking apple tree

"Paul Below" wrote in message

I have heard that in the eastern US, that Baltimore Orioles will eat
tent caterpillars. Here in the western US, there are no birds (as far
as I know) that will touch the yucky things.

All I know is that I poked the nests with a big, long stick, dragged down as
much of the crap as I could, left it on the ground, and, within a couple of
days, had no more caterpillars I've done this a couple of times when my
weeping cherry had a lot of nests. I haven't done anything when some of my
other cherry trees have had a few nests and there has never been a problem.

I also clip bagworms off of my various evergreens when it looks like they
have too many. No real problems with that either.