Old 07-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Phisherman

Default Japanese Maple problems

On 6 Jun 2003 09:23:55 -0700, (Mike) wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on my situation. I
moved into my house about a year ago. We have a beautiful Japanese
Maple that is probably about 20' high and I would guess 15-20 yrs old.
We have a 3 foot high retaining wall (about 30 feet long) that borders
our neighbors and essentially holds up our yard on that side.

The problem is the maple was put in right next to the wall (the base
of the trunk touches the wall) and the roots have started to push out
the wall. The wall is cracked and has only moved about 3 or 4 inches
but I am afraid that it will get worse.

I would hate to have to cut down the tree but was told I might have
to, to save the wall. I would build a wall around it except that the
new wall would be in the neighbor's property.

Does anyone have any suggestions, Is there anyway to keep the tree and
the wall?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!
Mike

It's possible to try to move the tree. Do it when the tree is
dormant. There's a product called "UpStart" you can use to reduce
the transplant shock.