Old 07-06-2003, 07:32 PM
limey

Default Pronouncing Weigela

"Frogleg" wrote in message
On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 17:12:23 GMT, "Ian"
wrote:

Okay, my dictionary skills lack here, can't work out how it is commonly
pronounced:

wei·ge·la (wI gEE?luh, -jEE?-, wI?guh luh) n. pl. -las
1. any of various shrubby, E Asian plants belonging to the genus
Weigela, of the honeysuckle family, having funnel-shaped white,
pink, or crimson flowers.
[1840-50; NL, after C. E. Weigel (1748-1831), German physician;
see - A 2]

- Is it Y-GEE-LUH

or something completely different?

Many plant names vary in pronunciation from place to place. I grew up
hearing PEE-uh-nees, and people here say pee-OWN-ees. Brits say
for-SCYTHE-ee-uh, and I have for-SITH-ee-uh growing in my yard. Best
plan: wait for someone else to say it. :-)

I say WYE-gela. Who knows if I'm right? I also say PEE-uh-nees. I
pronounce clematis the English way - clem-AYE-tis, vs. the US way -
CLEM-a-tis.