Old 07-06-2003, 11:44 PM
NJ

Default Pond Tragedy (long post)

I am so depressed! I awoke this morning, peered outside and saw two of my 3
year old comets lying on the rim rock of the pond! I ran outside, and they
were gulping for air; there were scales on the ground, and both fish were
beat up pretty badly. A few feet away was our big goldfish (an oversized
feeder that we rescued last year), stiff and dead. The lilies in the pond
were totally destroyed; all pads were ripped off. I hurriedly put the
comets in the water and tried to carefully wipe down their sides which had
grass and dirt on them. They lay sideways for a bit, but I gently guided
them upright and kept them away from the skimmer. I stayed at the side for
a half hour, guiding the fish that way until they seemed to get some
strength back. A third comet, one who was a year old, darted out from under
the falls rocks when she saw the other fish back in the pond. She has a few
slices in her, but was at least under water the whole time.

I think it must have been a raccoon, don't you? We had a similar occurrence
last year, and we rigged up a pond cover of vinyl lattice and crossboards
which we put over the pond each night. But, we had just installed some nice
outdoor lighting around the pond with spots trained on the falls, and we
were hopeful that we would not need the cover.

So far, the fish are doing better, but I am worried about them. They have
wintered over here in zone 5b two years and survived, and I am attached to
them. I am hopeful, since they seem to be gaining strength and swimming
fine, as well as eating a bit. Do you guys think they'll make it?

It had to have happened right before we got up at 9:30--it was plenty bright
and sunshiney out. There are no dogs around, and there was no other damage
or footprints around. The neighbors had their garbage cans upset and
ransacked, and there has been a 'coon in the area.

I'm so SAD!

NJ