Old 07-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Chris Nellist

Default Conversion of farmland to garden

Kay Easton wrote in
:

In article , Chris Nellist
writes

As for your point about building, no, I wouldn't support the abolition
of all controls over putting up buildings. But what I said 'bloody
local councils' to was the report about how a local council made
someone restore his garden to farmland. I would certainly support the
abolition of all restrictions on turning pieces of farmland into
gardens, which is what this bloke did. There are no such restrictions
in Ireland and it hasn't led the sky to cave in Turning a field
into a garden is not by any stretch of the imagination an anti-social
act, and does not require to be stomped on or addressed by the
authorities in the way that genuinely anti-social acts do.

Oh, come off it! If all the converted barns in the Yorkshire Dales
were to start have 1 acre gardens around them, it would change the
character a great deal!

I don't see that as a problem though, and definitely not as something
anti-social. It's not the same as the enclosure of common land or open
moorland, which is indeed anti-social.

OK, I know you're saying that in Ireland that
hasn't happened, but in Ireland you don't have such pressure on
buildings as we do here, or so many people wanting second homes or
retirement homes

In parts of western Ireland, there are quite a lot of second homes and
indeed purpose-built second homes.

Chris