Old 08-06-2003, 01:08 AM
Dean Hoffman

Default superior farming when 2 cash crops Renewable Farming(with

On 6/7/03 3:31 AM, in article , "Archimedes
Plutonium" wrote:

Part cut.

If it is found out that legumes will release nitrogen to nearby plants we are
living in the best of all possible worlds because then we can combine
two cash crops where one crop fertilizes the other and never need to buy
fertilizer.

More cut.

I don't think it would be practical for regular farms. Alfalfa, for
example is normally cut 3 or 4 times a year in my area. There wouldn't be
any practical way to cut it out of a standing corn field.
The closest I saw to two simultaneous crops in the same fields was soybean
and corn. Eight rows of beans, then eight rows of corn. It alternated like
that through the field. The most obvious problem with that is irrigation.
Beans and corn need about the same amount of water. The problem is the
timing. Corn needs water earlier than beans. Most irrigation here (eastern
Nebraska, USA) is by pivot irrigation. That means problems for the
irrigation scheduling.

Dean