Old 08-06-2003, 01:32 AM
dhponder

Default new idea for pre-filter

I tried your toiletbrush filter today. Looks good so far. To Jan, as to
the clamshelled basket prefilter, my problem with that is when you clean
it, (turn off the pump and bring it to the surface) all the junk
collected falls back into the pond, as you bring it to the surface. Is
there a better way?

deanna

On 6/6/03 4:12 PM, Rhino wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 22:01:09 -0700, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

I don't know what amazes me most, the ingenuity, or the step by step
pictures. )

My question, do you think the brushes work better than say putting the pump
inside the mesh baskets? Obviously your way is easier to access. ~ jan

SNIP FOR BREVITY

The obvious answer is that is easy to get to and clean. It also allows the
pinhead to matchhead size solids to go through the pump to the bottom of my
upflow veggie filter so I can drain them off. I tried the mesh baskets like a
clamshell and found them to be inconvienient because you had to move the pump
around just to get the bottom half and had to fight around the output hose.

I built my 1500gal pond as a DIY project and I have about 200.00 in the Permalon
liner, 110.00 in the pump and the rest is scrounged from different sources. The
skimmer box is an laundry room utility tub and the veggie filter is my original
100gal pond bought as a clearance item from Wally World for 50.00. I used left
over PVC and landscape wood scaps and the rock is left over from construction
sites. The white fence work is left over demo fencing from a defunct hardware
store. All the pots I use for the lilies and such are the discards from a
nursery I'm about to use a 30gal tub from a tree we planted to make a lotus
bog. I used shower drains to make bulkhead fittings. The best part is I hired
4 -- 13 year old boys and offered them 30.00 each to dig the pond. By the time
the got finished goofing off it took them about 30hrs to finish over 3 days
during a sub-zero cold snap. All four have decided college ain't such a bad
idea compared to digging.
My DW is after me to write a DIY on the cheap Pond Manual. I have to admitt
most of my ideas are strickly from this group and all the wonderful info I've
found here. If I wrote a book it would be 75% just saying thanks and
attributing the sources for the ideas.

See my pond
www.htcomp.net/rhino_4_good/index.htm

"Without the second ammendment, the others are just suggestions."