Old 08-06-2003, 02:20 AM
shannie

Default Tadpoles eating fish in pond???

"stella @ stejonda" wrote in message
Hi everyone

I'm new here and hoping for some advice. Our pond has 7 fish in it.
Until frogs and tadpoles arrived, they seemed happy and healthy. Since
the pond has been taken over by 11 frogs and a huge number of tadpoles 1
fish has died, one has lost half its tail and another has a large area
on its body chewed. The tadpoles seem aggressive eaters and I'm
wondering if they are chewing the fish.

If this is likely, I would want to remove as many tadpoles as I can and
continue rearing them in a tank feeding them boiled lettuce. I have done
this successfully before. Next year I plan to remove the spawn early and
do this. What do people think?

Stella Day (Dave's wife)
--
stella @ stejonda

Hi Stella,
Is your pond filtered?...If not you may need to change 50% of the water, the
arrival of the frogs and tadpoles will have used up a lot of oxygen in the
pond and the excrement of all the spawn, tadpoles and frogs could cause a
chronic increase in amonia to form. If it is filtered it may be a good idea
to take a look at the filter system make sure it is working effeciently. (it
may need cleaning more regularly because of the extra load) Is it goldfish
you have?...there are a couple of diseases that spring to mind (caused by a
bacterial/fungal buildup) one is fin rot, a fungus that affects the fins and
eats them away, the other I cannot recall the name for is where the tail
splits and rots away and this is a sign of poor water quality. There are a
number of treatments available at your local fish shop to add to the water
that will help to give the fish a boost, explain the prob to the people
there and they will advise you the best treatments to use,( tho you should
only use one at a time.) Also you could catch a fish, put it in a large
plastic bag along with the pond water and take it along with you to the
shop, they should be able to tell you what is wrong and how best to deal
with the situation.

Hope this helps
Colin (Shannie's partner)--

http://ukdiscus.com/main.htm