Old 08-06-2003, 05:32 AM
Chris

Default Fertilizer after Aerating

I have a mixture of Kentucky Blue grass, Fine Fescue and a small amount of
Perinnial Rye grass. My lawn was is in very poor shape weeds, compacted
areas from construction work, etc. I have been working on getting the grass
growing and killing the weeds. I only fertilized once so far. I was just
wondering since the ground is now loosened up if this would be a good time
to fertlize again. The lawn has not been fertilized or sprayed for weeds in
the past 4 years. I am using the Minnesota State Horticultural Society's
"Minnesota Gardners Guide" and it says to use 3 to 4 pounds of nitrogen per
1000 sqft.

"Chaim Aryeh Sharfman" http://www.kosher.org wrote in message
Why do you need so much fertilizer? If it's cool season grass (fescue,
bluegrass, rye) it only needs 1 lb. of nitrogen per 1,000 sq. ft. in the
spring/summer. Over fertilization leads to brown patch and other cute
diseases.

Now it you have warm season grass (bermuda, zoysia, St. Augustine, etc.)
that's a different story. What kind of grass *do* you have?

Chris wrote:
I am located in zone4 and just core aerated the lawn. I put fertilizer

down
about two weeks ago then sprayed with a liquid weed killer Ortho- Weed -
Bgone. Is it ok to fertilize the lawn again so soon ? I would like to

put it
down while the soil is opened up.