Old 08-06-2003, 08:20 AM
gregpresley

Default bindweed barrier

Maybe sink a 5 foot deep concrete wall into the soil - or thick sheet metal?
Seriously, bindweed is very invasive, has incredibly deep roots, shoots
seeds when they are ripe, etc etc etc. Maybe a low layer of very dense
junipers might shade them out, weakening them. They would come right through
the junipers out into the light in time, but, if you choose the color of the
juniper wisely, you'll be able to spot their evil little green foliage
heads, and quickly rip them out as soon as they appear.On the other hand,
juniper is prickly and nasty to weed stuff out of, so it's a hard call.
"Jane" wrote in message
My lot borders a farmer's field and I seem to be getting a lot of

bindweed.
I put in a row of rugosa roses at the front of my property hoping to have

nice hedge and barrier but so far this hasn't happened. The rugosas have
not filled in as I thought they would (it's been a few years) so I have a
lot of bindweed in the roses and the rest of the area I had hoped to clear
for some perennials. Not nice, believe me. I'm not sure what to do. Is
there anything I can put down to keep the bindweed (and other weeds, for
that matter) in the farmer's field. Are the rugosas a bad idea? Should I
start over with something else? Is there other hedging that would be a
better barrier. I didn't want anything too tall as it is at the front of

my
property and I don't want to obstruct the view. Any thoughts?