Old 08-06-2003, 09:56 AM
Chris Hogg

Default Tadpoles eating fish in pond???

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 17:37:33 +0100, "stella @ stejonda"
wrote:

Hi everyone

I'm new here and hoping for some advice. Our pond has 7 fish in it.
Until frogs and tadpoles arrived, they seemed happy and healthy. Since
the pond has been taken over by 11 frogs and a huge number of tadpoles 1
fish has died, one has lost half its tail and another has a large area
on its body chewed. The tadpoles seem aggressive eaters and I'm
wondering if they are chewing the fish.

If this is likely, I would want to remove as many tadpoles as I can and
continue rearing them in a tank feeding them boiled lettuce. I have done
this successfully before. Next year I plan to remove the spawn early and
do this. What do people think?

Stella Day (Dave's wife)

When I was living in digs many years ago, my landlady's little boy
brought home a jam-jar of tadpoles (as you do at that age). They had
no pond, and the best thing she could think to do with them was to put
them in the archetypal goldfish bowl overnight, along with the
solitary goldfish.

Next morning, no tadpoles, one fat goldfish and floods of tears from
the little boy!

I guess tadpoles eat goldfish eat tadpoles.

--
Chris