Old 08-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Frogleg

Default Potato v.s. Ginger

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 23:09:55 -0400, (Alex Ng)
wrote:

I got a question about ginger (the type that you buy at the gocery store).
I know that I can plant potato if they sprout (you know, when you buy a lot
on sale and you can't finish them it in time). What about ginger? Can I
just put it in the soil just like potato and except a harvest in October?

Not quite like a potato. If the ginger is plump and heavy (as opposed
to the dried-out wrinkly sort you often see left over in stores), and
you just leave it around (not refrigerated) it very well may start to
show little greenish-whitish bumps, which are the prospective leaf
shoots. Plant shallowly in light soil.

A search on "growing ginger" yields many results with detailed
directions.