Old 08-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Steve and Tiffany

Default ? Koi in same pond with goldfish

John,

I suspect time will settle this issue... I just added 4 small (2-3")
koi to a 1,000 gallon pond that had a handful of goldfish and it took
a week before the koi showed the slightest interest in food.

We're now two weeks in and they're practically jumping out of the
water when they see me come up to the edge with food.

Give everyone some patience...

-Steve

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 08:54:56 -0600, "John M. Darnielle"
wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to this group, live in Colorado Springs and have recently built a
500 gallon pond. I stocked with goldfish, waited a month then added three 8"
Koi a freind gave me. Problem is, the goldfish seem terrified of the Koi,
not even coming up to feed anymore. The Koi arn't feeding either, maybe the
terror is mutual. Is this a normal phase? When will everyone learn to sit
down and eat together?

John
"BTC/TAK on ACK" wrote in message
Recently [4 days ago] I was given 3 very attractive +/- 4 inch Koi. I've
added them to my goldfish pond, and they seem to be acclimating well. I

have
added Koi in the past [several years ago], but they've never survived.

Since
they have generally just vanished, I've suspected they were gotten by a
heron. The only one I've found "floating" was definitely pierced by
something. I think I've discouraged the heron with a decoy I move around
from time to time since the goldfish don't seem to ever vanish, thank
goodness.

But my question is: are Koi and goldfish really compatible? I seem to

recall
reading somewhere they can be competitive and belligerent to each other;

but
I'm not sure if I actually read that, or misunderstood what I read, etc.

Any info welcome.

Mila