Old 04-02-2003, 04:01 PM
paghat

Default Free Akebia vine to a good home (or bad, I don't care)

In article 1044326699.221233@yasure, "Valkyrie" wrote:

I'd be apt to toss the geraniums over the side though (unless my favorite
crane's-bills rather than those cruddy graveyard decorations).

-paghat the ratgirl

I actually have two crane's bill plants, one as an underplanting in the
witch hazel tree tub and the other in with the winter jasmine and several
scented geraniums also. Those "Ed Hume color spots" are just not to my taste
either. The crocus are starting to peek through now too. My balcony is so
loaded now that I don't have room to maneuver a wheelchair. I have to sort
of perch on a little stool with wheels since that's just about the width of
the trail left open. One good thing about the mass of plants is that if I
get off balance sitting on my the stool I can't fall off!

I had a pretty good method of "butt skootin' " gardening for awhile while
still living in my house. I'd put on an old pair of rain gear bibs, slide
out of my chair and scoot along pulling an old laundry basket for tools and
weeds and trimming. I'd call a neighbor on the cordless phone and he'd come
over, bring the wheelchair from where I dumped out of it, help load me up,
empty the basket into the compost and we'd have a cup of coffee. I must say
though that the way I am gardening now has proved to be much better for me.
I can putter around even in inclement weather, which I couldn't do before,
and things don't totally overwhelm me. I still have a real problem admitting
I have some limitations on what I'm capable of and I'd just as soon not have
to be bailed out of those "what the hell where you thinking" situations too
often. Such as the time I figured out how to get up a ladder to hang some
kewl artsy stuff on the ceiling of my balcony and then realized I couldn't
get back down. I always have a little phone clipped on my belt so I called
a friend to come help me down.

Hello
Hi, I'm stuck.
What?
I'm stuck on top of a ladder and I can't get down.
What!!?
I'm stuck on a damned ladder and I have to pee really, REALLY bad, can you
come over for a few minutes and help me?
ohferchrissakes
*click*
....within 10 minutes she arrives...

Hello??
I'm out on the balcony.
Ohferchrissakes, what are you doing up on a ladder?
Hanging kewl artsy shit, looks pretty good, huh?
Yeah, looks great, how did you get up there?
I figured it out. I just can't get down, apparently it doesn't work the same
in reverse.
Ohferchrissakes.
..... a few minutes of what amounted to a vaudeville routine and several
more "ohferchrissakes" and "don't make me laugh I have to pee" all was well
and I had a nice cup of tea and a visit with a good friend and was told that
I need to work within my limitations, which I promised to do as soon as I
figure out what they might possibly be ;-)

Val

Funny stuff!

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"