Old 08-06-2003, 12:20 PM
dave @ stejonda

Default Tadpoles eating fish in pond???

In message , ned
writes
It's true that big tadpoles will eat little tadpoles but unless your
fish are tiddlers, I would have thought there was a greater likelihood
of the fish eating the tadpoles.

==There are so many tadpoles; they don't seem to be disappearing.

One possibility is that there may not be sufficient food in the pond
to support all the inhabitants and its the fish who are indulging in a
bit of canabalism. There is a magic formula about calculating the
total length of fish in the pond against the surface area of the pond.
(Something along the lines of X sq ft of surface area for every Y
inches of fish length.)

==Thanks, this is useful. I feed them most days.

Or it could be a fungal disease affecting the fish. I doubt it is
voracious tadpoles.

==Yes, it may well be fungal. The one who died had a fungal infection
and we treated the pond.

What people seem to be suggesting is that frogs and fish can live
happily together but I'm not sure that I'm convinced. The fish seemed
really happy before the arrival of the frogs. I feel we may have to
choose between frogs and fish. :-)

Thanks for all the advice and information.

Stella

--
dave @ stejonda