Old 08-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Pat Meadows

Default keeping pests from cantaloupe and tomatoes

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 18:58:05 -0500, "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"
wrote:

I am just about to plant some cantaloupe and tomato plants. The tomato
plants will be in large containers, one to a container, and the cantaloupe
will be in the ground. I read that cantaloupes are especially susceptible
to aphids, and I think I once read that tomatoes are, too. I know that I
can plant basil near my tomatoes and that will help keep away pests.

I've never had an aphid problem with tomatoes. I've had
them with other things, but never tomatoes.

This doesn't guarantee that you won't have the problem...but
I have gardened in about six different locations, and never
had a problem with aphids on tomatoes.

In fact, I've rarely had a problem with aphids at all:
nothing that a blast with water from the hose wouldn't cure.
I've always thought they were more a greenhouse problem than
an outdoor-plant problem.

Can I
do the same with the cantaloupe? How about using coriander/cilantro in
addition to the basil? If I plant basil and/or cilantro near my tomatoes
and cantaloupe, how close can they be? For example, can I put one basil and
one cilantro plant with each tomato container? The containers are round and
are about 1-1 1/2 feet in diameter and 1 1/2 - 2 feet high.

I'd plant cilantro with the tomato - it's very fast growing
and it will be finished by the time the tomato becomes
large. The basil wants full sun, and it's fairly
slow-growing - the tomato would get large and shade it out,
probably.

I don't think either of these will make the slightest
difference to aphids, but then I don't think your tomatoes
are going to be bothered by aphids anyway... (I don't know
about cantaloupe, haven't grown it in many years.)

How about with
the cantaloupe? Can I plant one basil or cilantro plant in the same row as
the cantaloupe? I would probably plant the cantaloupe plants 2 feet apart,
and a basil plant in between. Good or bad idea?

Sounds fine to me but, again, I don't think it would make
any difference to aphids.

I've found that it's very seldom necessary to solve problems
that you don't even know you'll have...occasionally, yes,
but not often.

Pat