Old 08-06-2003, 01:32 PM
John Grotts

Default [IBC] Container or ground?

It is the fact that a tree's root have virtually unlimited
growing room that helps to fatten trunks so quickly when a tree
is in the ground -- NOT the amount of fertilizer you give it.

Last year I set out a fairly large amount of seedlings - Acer and Ulmus.
I set both in pots and in growing beds. Fed them all the same. This was no
experiment and I am no scientist. But, this spring the trees that I put in
the ground are more than half the size bigger than those in pots. There is
not a pot out there that shows a larger seedling than what I have in the
ground. It has always been my experience that the ground produces larger
trees. I am sorry I don't have anything more than muddy boots to back this
up, I don't do statistical reports!

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++