Old 08-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Bill and Nancy Weiler

Default Ash tree problem

Sherry wrote:

There is an ash tree planted 3 years ago in my front yard. I think I
might have over fertilized it last year with some tree fertilizer
spikes purchased at the Home Demo (instruction says 3 spikes, I used
5). Last year the leaves of my tree were twice as big as those of my
neighor's tree (because of the ferlilizer I guess). However, this year
some leaves on the top of the tree are much smaller than others. They
don't look healthy at all. What should I do?

Regards,
Sherry

This may not be a problem. (Depends on how "unhealthy" they look.) The
leaves on the outside (sunny) side of a tree (or most any plant) are
smaller. This reduces water loss by transpiration. Tobacco farmers are
well aware of this. They shade the plants resulting in thin, broad
leaves used for wrappers in cigars.

Bill
--
Bill and Nancy Weiler