Old 08-06-2003, 03:44 PM
mattie

Default Wildlife and ponds

(GrampysGurl) wrote in message ...
)

I've read you should take the turtle to the side it's headed for, and
place it a few feet off the road facing the way it was going.

Alan

That's what I do )

While driving my husband & I approched a huge turtle in the middle of
the road . I jumped out to help the turtle to the other side of road
like we did in Cal. with a tortoise once. I grabbed the back of the
shell to carry it when it snapped around at me. I screamed and let
go. It had been hit by a car. Their was a pool of blood on the road.
I picked it up again from behind carrying it across to the grass.

We found a wild life rehibilitator & exrays were taken to see if the
turtle would live. If eggs were in the turtle they would save the
eggs.

The turtle weighed 18 1/2 lbs. I didn't even know how stupid I was to
handle this snapping turtle. Believe me, I was lucky! Old man said,
they don't let go once they bite. They can jump with their two front
feet. Their necks are long . Thier swift in biting. You use a long
tree limb to scoot them across the road.

Guess what. If I ever pass a woman in the middle of a road & she's
trying to help a snapping turtle who got run over I will at least tell
her the danger of an inexperienced person trying to do a good deed! No
body did that for me. Dozens' of cars passed by. Luckly, I still
have ten fingers.