Old 08-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Pam

Default Annuals?

Bill Spohn wrote:

I noticed a question about annuals in another thread, and it got me wondering
about whether I am the odd one out in having an almost exclusively perennial
garden.

I just don't have time to spend on setting out annuals every year, as my
gardening hours are already over-subscribed by other more pressing matters
(weeding, mowing, carving out new beds etc.)

Other than a few favourite annuals, I just don't bother much with them any
more. Are there others who do the same?

Other than a few window boxes and a couple of seasonal containers, I never plant
annuals, certainly not in the ground. First, flowers are not the primary element
in my garden - form, foliage and texture are and few annuals can meet this
requirement. Second, they are expensive when considering the required seasonal
replacement, and I 'd rather invest in permanent plants. Finally, they require
too much attention in terms of frequent fertilizing, constant watering and
deadheading to maintain their appearance - there are only so many hours in the
day!

FWIW, I also tend to be not very heavily invested in perennials, either. Most
don't offer the year round appearance I am shooting for and they also tend to be
high on the maintenance schedule. I do indulge my favorites, but over the years
my garden has evolved into much more of an evergreen and/or mixed shrub garden
with a few (okay, quite a few!) perennials thrown into the mix for color and
seasonal fillers. Besides, trees, shrubs, groundcovers and vines are so much more
interesting!

pam - gardengal