Old 08-06-2003, 05:20 PM

Default Is sulphur powder the least costly way to lower PH ?

That was my thinking as well, but the folks raising black berries
in this are assure me that applying 3# of powered sulphur per
50' row of berries will do the job. I'm gonna try it - can't hurt:-)

I read somewhere on the www that "lime" will do the job, but
takes ~ 2 or 3 months to work? I was thinking that lime would
make the soil more alkaline, but the site said it would make
the soil more acidic? Now I'm confused, but that's normal for
me:-)

Gene

"Rusty Mase" wrote in message
On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 16:44:32 GMT, animaux
wrote:

Everyone is correct, though. You will never be successful lowering the

pH of
any soil, permanently.

You can get a rough number for how much sulfur it takes by sending a
soil sample to the Texas Ag Extension Service's Soils Lab at A&M and
looking at the measure for "Excess Calcium".

My soil, probably similar to yours, would require on the order of
9,000 pounds of sulfur per acre to handle the top 6 inches (plow
depth). I leak a little Disposul (200 #) on it every year but that
takes something like 30 years to even come close and by that time what
is below 6 inches probably leaks up.

I also add quit a bit of phosphorus as that goes into calcium
phosphate. So with the calcium sulfate and calcium phosphate I am
creating, I will, if I live long enough, end up with a "plaster" yard.

Rusty Mase

News==----

Newsgroups

=---