Old 08-06-2003, 06:20 PM
paghat

Default garden police gone wild?

In article , "Dave Allyn"
(Dave Allyn) wrote:

But your "right" or "option" to join a HOA where the percentage of
minorities drops dramatically (to as low as zero percent ) doesn't look so
nifty, not if the day before you went house-hunting you naively believed
that discriminatory housing policies was illegal in all cases, only to
discover a half-dozen of the surrunding neighborhoods "coincidentally"
only sell to whites & a huge percentage of houses on the market aren't for
you -- & turns out there's very little you can do about it even if you
were brave enough to force the issue & forge a path amidst all those
honkies.

The other thing to thing about is this: would you want to live in a
place where you knoew everyone around didn't want you there, and was
watching your every move? Not to mention you were accused (in the
courts of public opinion) everything something was missing from
someone's house?

The people who HAVE forged inroads where they're unwanted I consider
brave, in some cases heroic, & for far too many it cost them their lives.
I couldn't do it either.

I am whilte, and while I have nothing against any other races, I don't
htink I would be comforatable moving in to an all-hispanic, or
al-black area.

I've lived in predominantly black & asian neighborhoods & loved these
communities. I've visited lilywhite neighborhoods & felt very
uncomfortable, & my discomfort was rarely baseless. I think what you
outline is the result of unfamiliarity & you give evidence of the harm
segregation does even to someone such as yourself, that you find yourself
having to admit discomfort with races you know you have no need to
despise.

I wouldn't fit. everyone would alway look at, and
treat me like an outsider. I have seen the same thing here in the
town I live in. there are about 1000 people. all bt about 10 of them
are white.. anytime something is stolen, of missing, or broken, it's
always "those damn ni$$ers" that did it.... Mean while they keep to
themselves,

That's exactly the sort of thing you should NOT be comfortable around.
That you recognize these honkies' racism, but are nevertheless more
comfortable with them, is a terrible thing for your own growth & humanity.
Though I can certainly imagine that such a small town might not provide
you as many options as would be more humanly rewarding.

You seem to be saying you're comfortable in the manner of a chameleon.
Because your skin's the same color as that of racists, you're not at risk.
Personally that wouldn't comfort me. I recognize my "white privilege" in
this regard, & know to some degree I benefit in certain ways that black
skin never can. But it still strikes me as creepy rather than
comfortable.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"