Old 08-06-2003, 06:20 PM
andrewpreece

Default harvesting potatoes

My secondhand knowledge of this is that it is a matter of personal
preference. Some people swear by digging them up all at once, some
reckon that by grubbing around with their hands in the earth they can
pick off the biggest potatoes and allow the remainder to develop. I
don't think any new potatoes will form though.

Andy

"sw" wrote in message
Right. My first earlies (Epicure) are in flower; according to the book
of words, this means I can start harvesting potatoes from them. Am I
right in thinking that if I can pick some by hand without uprooting the
plant, it will continue to make potatoes? If so, for how long, and does
it grow new little ones or do the remainder simply grow larger?

Whether or not we have new potatoes with dinner tonight depends on the
answer :-)

regards
sarah

--