Old 08-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Jane Lumley

Default Roses I Love To Hate And The People Who Love Them

Not only hideous, but, as you say, obese.

Now, now, Jane, don't poke fun at the afflicted! G

I am guilty of incorrectness here.

I also hate Super Star, the
ubiquitous Compassion,

Hmm. Care to elaborate? I've thought about Compassion. Granted, you
don't like hybrid teas so much from your other posts, but what is it
about this one you particularly dislike? It gets some good press!

I'm sick of it. You see it everywhere. and it's quite dull, actually -
orangey, and no, I don't like many HTs (actually ido like a few).

and the dreadful Grandpa Dickson - what a shape!

Pointy. The petals, that is. Spidery.

My pet hate just now is the ghastly rhapsody in Blue, top rose in the UK
- and hideous, and not blue but a kind of stark purple. I can never
understand the quest for a blue rose.

Me either but purple is a different story. Are you saying that R.I.B
is actually a pure PURPLE? I have been searching for the perfect
purple rose since I first planted Lagerfeld because it was the closest
thing to purple at the garden center. If so, is it just the color you
hate?

I'd say from the specimen I saw at Chelsea that it's just about the same
shade as Cardinal Richelieu after three or four days on the bush. But
it's more saturated. Don't like the shape either, or the scent.

h to appreciate Penelope.
Seriously. We all have our down sides.

Gee, I never said that, or thought it. Just my 0.02c that she's lovely,
and an attempt to say a bit about why.

There is room for every point of view
here, as there should be.

No venom meant. Sorry if some was felt.