Old 08-06-2003, 09:32 PM
cpemma

Default Tadpoles eating fish in pond???

stella @ stejonda wrote:
Hi everyone

I'm new here and hoping for some advice. Our pond has 7 fish in it.
Until frogs and tadpoles arrived, they seemed happy and healthy. Since
the pond has been taken over by 11 frogs and a huge number of
tadpoles 1 fish has died, one has lost half its tail and another has
a large area on its body chewed. The tadpoles seem aggressive eaters
and I'm wondering if they are chewing the fish.

If this is likely, I would want to remove as many tadpoles as I can
and continue rearing them in a tank feeding them boiled lettuce. I
have done this successfully before. Next year I plan to remove the
spawn early and do this. What do people think?

Tadpoles will chew on a sick fish (it can't swim away from them) and as
people have said, the extra poop & ammonia in the water may cause the
sickness in the first place.

See rec.ponds FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions):
http://www.geocities.com/justinm090/faq.html#top for more info.