Old 08-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Pam Moore

Default caterpillars in a sac in apple tree

On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 02:16:58 +0200, pelmar
wrote:

Much to my horror I discoverd cobweb like "sacs" of caterpillars and
their small black eggs in my apple tree. I live in Denmark but have only
come across the phenomenom in my childhood in the UK. I remember one
summer in the mid 80's that a warning came on the news about sacs of
caterpillars that could cause an allergic reaction if touched. They hung
in sacs on trees and I remember we had a tree like thsi ion our front
garden.

I saw this in two different hedgerows recently, both on blackthorn,
and took some photos, but don't know how to upload them. The bushes
looked as if covered with net curtain from a distance. Close up I
could see the 1cm long caterpillars.
My book says: Brown tail tussock moth. Serious defoliator of
hedgerows. It is the detachable hairs of the caterpillars which can
cause a rash in senstive people. They do well because they have a
wide taste in leaves including orchard trees.
It says that in 1782 there was a plague of them in SE England
threatening the fruit crop. Poor Londoners were paid a shilling a
bushel for the caterpillars "tents" which were burnt by the
chuchwardens and special prayers were said.
However I'm mystified by the fact that it says that the caterpillars
hatch at the end of August and seek safety in these "tents" spun
around leaves and twigs.

Pam in Bristol