Old 08-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Justin Thyme

Default Rachel de Thame and national collections

I have come rather late to this thread but do remember raising an eyebrow
when the offending comment was being made on the programme. However, I
don't have the benefit of a replay but am not at all sure that the
indefinite article was included. The claim that a National Collection is a
collection of single species is not in dispute.

And leave off Rachel's rear view!!! I think some of you Urglers must be
watching a 4:3 broadcast in widescreen ; )

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , David Hill david@abacus
nurseries.freeserve.co.uk writes
I would think that to most people
"I have a collection of species Crocus"
"I have a collection of Crocus species"
would have the same meaning

Yes - and that is fine. But what was in the programme was the suggestion
that Crocus itself was *a* species - in other words 'I have a collection
of Crocus species' would be meaningless because there is only one
species - Crocus. Anything else were merely varieties. That's what got
me cross.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: