Old 08-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Anne Lurie

Default Pond Tragedy (long post)

Unless you're in a very limited area of South Florida (I think), any white
wading bird is most likely an egret -- the big ones are Great Egrets, the
smaller ones with gorgeous plumes are Snowy Egrets, and the short stocky
ones are Cattle Egrets.

There is a Wood Stork in parts of the South, but it's easily identified by
its huge bill, and it's not nearly as beautiful as the egrets, IMHO.

Check out this gallery of photographs of wading birds at The Virtual Birder
http://www.virtualbirder.com/vbirder...allery/index.h
tml, to see some comparative photos. (There's lots of info about all things
"birdy" at that website.)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
Please educate me on the difference between a crane, heron, and stork!

The beast that had my fish for Dinner is white as sheet, long pointy

beaks,
and huge!

Is this Heron, Stork, or Crane!

Worth noting is that my house is near the mountains, at least 40-50 miles
from the ocean!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Nedra" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Mt sympathy to everyone who is suffering thru the shock
of any sort of animal attach with their fish.
A lady here in south St. Louis has been doing battle with a
Crane ... a Crane in the city! Several folks have posted
on our Club's website that they have seen Cranes around too!
This is way too close for comfort!!

Nedra

"K30a" wrote in message
right there on the edge of my pond
with a 10" kohaku wiggling in it's mouth was a heron, big ol freaking

beast!
Dinning on $250.00 sushi!

k30a