Old 08-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Potatoes, lots of tops, but?

"Pam wrote in message

And, when is the earliest that I can start scraping away at the soil to
pick a few earlies, I don't want to dig them up as that always results
in losing some.

Anyone hear GQT today? BobF said that if you investigate your
potatoes and they are only like peas you could plant them again. I
need to listen again to get the full info. Maybe he said that if you
harvest a few and there are others which are pea sized, then you could
replant. (I record it............even have Jenny on tape! "Oh s***")
Also, I think you are supposed to wait till they flower, then you can
remove the flowers to get the crop to grow bigger. Also when they
flower is when you should water.

Leave "Main Crops" to flower by all means but not "Earlies" or you will end
up with large potatoes that are not "new".
I've heard of people carefully scraping away the soil and removing any
edible sized new spuds and then re covering the roots with the tiny embryo
potatoes to get the them up to size too.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.