Old 08-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default eating vegetables grown in London garden

"JK" wrote in message
I live in a fairly urban bit of London and I'd like to know if it's safe

eat things that have grown in my garden. It's not directly near any roads
or anything, but I always wonder abuot the general level of pollution in
cities and whether it renders veg inedible? Specifically right now I want
to make some elderflower cordial from the elderflowers in the garden.

If it's not near any very busy roads you would have to look at previous uses
for the land to find pollution, lead working, arsenic, asbestos etc. Perhaps
your Council would do a check on your soil if you have suspicions?
Even if it's near a road you will find that pollution stops rapidly and does
not travel too far from the carriageway, and any that does can be washed off
easily.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.