Old 08-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Colin Malsingh

Default keeping pests from cantaloupe and tomatoes

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 18:58:05 -0500, "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"
wrote:

I am just about to plant some cantaloupe and tomato plants.
I read that cantaloupes are especially susceptible
to aphids, and I think I once read that tomatoes are, too. I know that I
can plant basil near my tomatoes and that will help keep away pests.

A few points on this:

- I have used Basil plants successfully in a greenhouse and believe
that they are thought to be good for deterring aphids. Of course I
can't say that I would have been affected if I hadn't used them....

- Some people recommend using Garlic as a companion plant for
Tomatoes. Apparently, they garlic doesn't seem to benefit, but the
tomatoes are better for having the garlic there (not pests, just
general vigour). I haven't tried this but hey, it's one more
ingredient sorted for your Salsa....

- The usual companion plants for combatting aphids are French
Marigolds and Limanthes. I think this is because of their attraction
for Ladybugs.

One other person suggested buying Ladybugs to breed & disperse. I did
this a few weeks back but have not been successful at keeping the
eggs/larvae alive.

Colin
-----
Replace the obvious with Bigfoot