Old 08-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Colin Malsingh

Default Aphid in greenhouse solutions?

On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 10:27:39 GMT, (Jan Flora) wrote:

The neighbor is trying to stay strictly organic, if she can. I told her about
the soap & water in a spray bottle trick.

These won't necessarily help clear a big aphid infestation, but some
other organic options include:

(1) Having some French Marigolds or Limanthes nearby (which attract
beneficial insects, like Ladybugs)

(2) You can also boost the presence of beneficial insects by buying
bug nesting boxes that may attract them (I haven't tried this)

(3) You can buy kits for breeding & releasing Ladybugs and Lacewings
(both of which munch aphids). I have tried this, but am only part way
through, so can't report on the final results.

I can only say, being based in the UK, I had to send off for an
envelope of Ladybug eggs from Belgium, which was a truly surreal
experience (we usually just buy chocolate from there...)

(4) Finally, I have heard that keeping Basil nearby can inhibit
aphids. Don't know the science but I used basil plants in my
greenhouse last year and didn't get any aphids at all (and it was warm
and humid in there too).

Good luck

Colin
-----