Old 09-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Chris

Default Fertilizer after Aerating

OK, I have been doing some more reading and am going to look at the cost of
sending some soil samples to my local Extension Office in Minnesota. It
would probably be a good idea to know where I am at curretnly.
"Chaim Aryeh Sharfman" http://www.kosher.org wrote in message

Chris wrote:
I am using the Minnesota State Horticultural Society's
"Minnesota Gardners Guide" and it says to use 3 to 4 pounds of nitrogen

per
1000 sqft.

The 3 to 4 lbs. per 1,000 is correct, but that is PER YEAR. 1 lb.
should be applied in the spring and the remaining 2 to 3 lbs. should be
applied in late fall, preferably November. Over fertilization in spring
will lead to rhizoctonia (brown patch) and you do not want that.